Forecasting Weather for Franklin Migraine Sufferers?

May 13, 2013

What in the world does this mean?  Did you know that if you suffer with chronic headaches or migraines in Franklin, Chicago or Anchorage, might help you manage your condition? Weather forecasts that include a migraine-warning component can help you take steps to arm yourself with migraine medication and other preventative therapies, in advance of any weather event that may trigger your headache or migraine symptoms.  According to a 2008 survey by the National Headache Foundation, most migraine and headache sufferers believe that certain weather events affect their symptoms.  Of the 107 subjects surveyed, 90 percent experienced migraines while the remaining 10 percent suffered with other headache conditions. 

The cause and effect relationship between chronic headaches or migraines and weather isn’t clear.  According to weather changes seem to be key in triggering chronic headache symptoms.  Some culprits include changes in:

  • Barometric pressure
  • Extreme Temperature
  • Humidity
  • Weather patterns
  • High winds
  • Storms
  • Extreme dryness
  • Dust

Seasonal changes are often difficult times of the year for migraineurs as these bring the most weather changes, along with allergy triggering offenders that are also known to trigger migraines and headaches. 

According to the website, the Migraine Headache Forecast is based on current conditions and how they are expected to change.  The likelihood and predicted intensity of a migraine are calculated utilizing probability.  So if you are trying to predict the chance that weather will trigger your chronic headaches or migraines in Franklin, Chicago or Anchorage, you may want to check a migraine forecast like the one on  This way you can be sure to take your preventative medication or keep your pain medicine handy.   Be sure to keep track of the weather events that you believe affect your symptoms, in your personal migraine journal.  The more migraine tools in your arsenal, the more effectively you can manage your condition.


Previous post:

Next post: