Hopefully you’ve been doing great sticking to your diet resolutions since the New Year began. If you intended to lose some excess weight that’s terrific, but you might have noticed that eating a little healthier has also proven to be a drug free migraine therapy. While eating certain foods or abstaining from others is certainly no migraine treatment, certain nutrients and ingredients have long been linked with triggering or preventing headaches for some sufferers.
Great Britain’s Huffington Post recently featured an article suggesting some foods that should be a part of your drug free migraine diet. If you and your migraine doctor are exploring which migraine treatment is most effective for you, it certainly can’t hurt to include these migraine-fightingy foods in the meantime:
- Watermelon – Dehydration and mineral deficiency has been linked with triggering migraines. Watermelon and cucumbers are not only high in water content, but also rich in potassium and magnesium, which have been associated with easing headaches.
- Spinach – Green leafy veggies are not only low in calories but also jam-packed with riboflavin (a type of Vitamin B), believed to prevent migraines.
- Almonds – The article refers to some research suggesting that magnesium (contained in almonds) might be helpful in preventing migraines.
- High-fat Fish—the omega-3 fatty acids contained in fatty fish, like salmon, contain anti-inflammatory properties that may help lessen pain.
- Potatoes – the high potassium level in this vegetable (even better than bananas) may soothe migraines.
- Caffeine—while caffeine triggers headaches in some people, it can also ease migraines with limited use, at the onset of an attack. Caffeine also promotes pain medication absorption, and is therefore an ingredient in several over the counter headache drugs.
To be sure, eating some almond crusted salmon with a baked potato, side of spinach, wedge of watermelon and a cup of coffee is NOT a migraine treatment. But whether your condition responds to medication, Botox injections, or even a migraine procedure, adding some drug free migraine remedies like behavioral therapy or certain foods seems like a great idea. Improving your nutrition will not only support your weight maintenance goals but also improve your overall health and happiness.